Wednesday 12 March 2014

Leaving


So far 2014 has been a year of arrivals and departures. Airports. Train stations. Long goodbyes. It’s been a whirlwind. Starting in Senegal, then Norfolk, continuing in Bruxelles and finally in Woolacombe, it seems all I’m doing is saying farewell to people and places that hold a special place in my heart.

I approached the New Year with a determination to move back into conservation work. I’ve had an amazing time the past few years working by the beach in North Devon and travelling in the winters. But after meeting some inspiring people in Senegal I realised that I missed the challenges of my old job. I realised that one passion had been shelved in favour of another. Surfing had bullied its way into the forefront of my mind. So it was time for a change.

I did not expect to be offered an interview and then a job from the first application form I sent off. I did not expect to be going back to Wales. I did not expect to be trading one small island for another. And now as the date to move to Skomer draws close I still do not know what to expect.

So here I am sitting in the departures lounge of Bruxelles Airport thinking about all the leaving I’ve done already. And now I’ve got more to do. I’ve got a weekend of goodbyes in Woolacombe ahead. I’ve got to load up my little car and chart a course to Pembrokeshire. I’m going to miss North Devon beach life, but something tells me I’ll see it again. I’m not going to surf much in the next few years (and I’ve surfed a lot!) but it’s time for change.
Am I ready for moving to a remote island off Wales? I think so. I don’t know. Somebody tell me! I want to get lost in the new job, live the work, meet amazing wildlife, raise awareness, develop the business. But I’m shadowed by a few doubts. Questions I can’t cast any light on until I get to Skomer. So I’m coming armed with train schedules, flight plans, taxi numbers and mobile broadband. Tools to help me stay in touch with Bruxelles, with Woolacombe, with Senegal, with everywhere. A connection to what was before and what is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment